Skip to main content
#
Stan Perkoski's Home Services
site map
email usour facebook page
 Stan's Greener Savings Blog 
Thursday, January 22 2015

Act Like Your Life Depends on It; IT DOES!

Here's story our friend Lincoln Stubbs tells about his experience with a Massachusetts homeowner and her broken furnace. This life-threatening situation carries an important message to all who heat their homes and water with natural gas, oil or propane.

"Last month, a Plymouth (MA) customer called because her furnace wasn't working properly. I soon found a cracked heat exchanger. I immediately opened doors and windows throughout the home. Deadly carbon monoxide gas had been escaping into the home. We installed a new furnace.

"When I asked the homeowner if she had carbon monoxide detectors, she reported that they had in fact gone off a few days earlier so had been unplugged to stop the noise. But nothing was checked!

"When I asked if she had been having any health issues, the homeowner said that she had experienced headaches and dizziness and had even visited the hospital emergency room one day."

THIS HOMEOWNER AND HER FAMILY WERE SLOWLY BEING POISONED. 
THE DOCTORS MISDIAGNOSED, AND SENT HER BACK TO THE HOME!

Here's what you should do whenever your carbon monoxide detector sounds:

  1. GET FRESH AIR IMMEDIATELY! Open doors and windows.
  2. THEN LEAVE THE HOME, AND CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. They'll check for carbon monoxide. If they detect it, they'll turn off all fuel burning appliances. That will include your fireplace, oil or gas-burning furnaces, water heater, generator, stove, oven, space heater, etc.
  3. GO TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM AND REPORT THAT YOU SUSPECT CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING. THIS IS IMPORTANT! The emergency room medical team that treated Lincoln's customer did not diagnose carbon monoxide poisoning and sent them home. That's not unusual. Such symptoms are often mistaken for those of flu, food poisoning or other common respiratory ilnesses. It is critical that you tell them that your carbon monoxide detector went off!
  4. CALL YOUR STAN PERKOSKI'S PROFESSIONALS TO CHECK YOUR FUEL-BURNING APPLIANCES BEFORE RETURNING THEM TO SERVICE.

​Carbon monoxide poisoining is serious business.

It's the leading cause of poisoning deaths in the U.S. This silent killer is colorless and odorless. At high levels, it can kill within minutes. Even low levels can cause shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea and headaches and may have long-term effects on health. 

PREVENTION IS THE KEY!

Of course your best protection lies in prevention

  1. EQUIP YOUR HOME WITH A WORKING CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR. NEVER disconnect its power supply, and ALWAYS check batteries. (We send all newsletter readers email reminders twice a year. Let us know about friends and loved ones you'd like us to include.)
  2. SCHEDULE ANNUAL HEATER MAINTENANCE SERVICE. Had this homeowner followed this recommendation, Lincoln's team would have detected the problem well before her heat exchanger failed.

If you have not yet had your heater inspected this season, schedule now. If your home does not have a working carbon monoxide detector, contact us. Ours detect low level contamination that standard store-bought detectors miss. If you have not checked your detector's batteries in the last six months, do so immediately.

Please take this advice seriously. It can save your life and the lives of those you most love.

Stan

Posted by: AT 11:30 am   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Comments:

Post comment
Name
 *
Email Address

Message
(max 750 characters)
*
* Required Fields
Note: All comments are subject to approval. Your comment will not appear until it has been approved.

FREE Service Call
Enter to Win Two Years' FREE Heating Cooling Maintenance Service
Schedule FREE Consultation
Read our reviews
Sign up for seaonal energy-saving tips & money-saving offers
Tell Your Stan Perkoski Story
Free Consumer Decision Guides

"Mr. Perkoski,

"I want you to know (I'm sure you do!) that Nick and Pepe are the best!! They have come to my rescue more times than I can count. These two gentlement are always knowledgable and professional and go above and beyond the call whenever possible. I feel so lucky to have them in my home knowing the problem will be taken care of with quick efficiency -- and a smile."

Mary Beth McClafferty

    About us

    No-Stress Plumbing, Electrical, Heating, Air Conditioning & Generator Installation, Repair and Maintenance Services. Serving homes and businesses in New Castle County, DE; Chester County, PA; and Cecil, Kent & Queen Anne's Counties, MD.

    Payments

    We accept Mastercard, Visa, American Express and PayPal.

    Special Financing for 60 months with approved credit.

    Contact us
    email usour facebook page

    1818 Marsh Road
    Wilmington, DE 19810
    Phone: 866-PERKOSKI
    (866) 737-5675
    Email: info@leaksnheat.com

    (c) 2013-2019, Strategic Edge LLC. Not to be used without permission.