| Stan's Greener Savings Blog |
Saturday, March 31 2018
The good news is that the arrival of the worst of this Spring's allergy season has been late in the the MidAtlantic this season with a lingering cold and wet early Spring. However, when warmer temperatues do arrive, pollen counts are expected to be particularly high this season.
Here are a few tips to bring relief to the allergy sufferers in your family:
- Control your home's humidity and with it some of the most virulent allergens:
Mold & Mildew. Although generally confined to damp areas like basements, crawl spaces and bathrooms, their spores are dispersed in the air and can infect your entire home.
Dust mites. These microscopic creepy-crawlies thrive in high humidity. They live in mattresses, upholstery, carpets and other home fabrics. Their waste products and dead body parts are among the most irritating triggers to allergy and asthma.
Frequent vacuuming; weekly washing of bed linens and mattress covers in hot water; and replacement of heavy drapery, rugs and carpets with hard surface window treatments and flooring will control dust mites, but by far the best solution is to control your home's humidity. Where humidity is kept below 50%, these creatures dessicate and die.
Stan has high humidity solutions including advanced air conditioners and heat pumps with built-in humidity controls as well as professional dehumidifiers that can either operate as stand-alones or be incorporated into your home comfort system. These offer triple the performance of standard dehumidifiers with less than two-thirds the operating cost.
- Keep doors and windows closed even on the most inviting spring day. Rather let your air conditioner continue to run even when temperatures are moderate. Nothing is more natural than the desire to throw open windows after a long cold winter. But for the allergy sufferers in your life, this just means more red noses, scratchy throats, wheezing and labored breathing. Keeping your air conditioner running will circulate your home's air through its air filter. With the spring's moderate temps, the cost will not be burdensome.
Those with high efficiency systems have the added advantage of a two-speed compressor and variable speed blower. In spring, these systems run at lower more energy-efficient speeds. And because of the efficiency of their DC powered blowers, fan can be set to run continually even when the compressor is not cooling for maximum air circulation and filtration.
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR FILTER EACH MONTH AND CHANGE IT WHEN DIRTY. This will not only keep your homes air clean, but it keep your system running efficiently. If you have not done so already, sign up for Stan's FREE monthly reminders.
- Consider upgrading your air filter. This is NEVER SOMETHING YOU SHOULD DO YOURSELF! The "high efficiency" filters sold in home centers and hardware stores WILL obstruct the airflow so critical to your comfort and to your system's energy-efficiency. The consequences are grave including damage to expensive compressors and fan motors.
Stan has solutions designed to have minimal impact on airflow. These include 95% efficient media filters and the revolutionaryAccuCleanTM which captures 99.98% of allergens including dust, pollen, pet dander, dust mite allergens, mold spores, cooking grease, and tobacco smoke as well as the activTek activTekTM air purifier.
- Keep pets away from allergy sufferers. As much as you love them, pets bring in plenty of outdoor allergens -- especially this time of year. Their dander is also an irritant. Obviously the best solution is to keep them out doors, but if that's not possible, you should maintain at least one pet-free room (preferably a bedroom) where your allergy sufferer can find relief.
- Change clothes and shower when you come in from outdoor activities. This time of year, even a short walk or time spent in the yard can cover you with allergens. These can then be tracked through the home and deposited on furniture.
These are just a few tips from your friends at Stan Perkoski's home services. To learn more, schedule a No-Pressure No-Obligation Consultation with your Stan Perkoski's professional.
Monday, March 05 2018
Every Stan Perkoski's Quotation is Given by
a Qualified Technician, NEVER a Pushy Salesman!
"Nearly half of all heating and cooling equipment in the U.S. never performs to its advertised capacity due to incorrect installation."
U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) at energysaver.com
". . . a high efficiency air conditioner . . . may waste significantly more energy than a properly installed lower-efficiency unit."
Joint report of Air Conditioning
Contractors of America (ACCA),
the NY State Energy Research Development Authority, and the Consortium for Energy Efficiency.
When Stan says he's committed to no sales pressure, he really means it. Unlike other Delaware, Maryland and Pennsylvania heating/cooling and plumbing companies, every Stan Perkoski's quotation is given by a qualified technician not a salesman.
Why is this important? The principal training our industry's sales people receive is in sales techniques. As a result, most of the people designing and estimating heating, cooling, water heating and plumbing systems have minimal technical knowledge. Yet the decisions they make will determine your family's comfort and a very big chunk of your annual household expenses for the next 10 to 20 years.
That lack of knowledge may have a lot to do with the U.S. Department of Energy's assessment of the dismal state of home heating and air conditioning efficiency in the United States.
|No Pressure / No Games/ No Surprises / No Fooling!
When the person designing and recommending your new system is a salesperson, you never know what's behind his recommendations. Is the system he recommends the best for you or the best for his commission? Is he up-selling you on a more expensive system than you need? Is the price you're quoted really the best, or might it be lower if only you were a more skilled negotiator?
With Stan Perkoski's, you always know where you stand. Your technician asks detailed questions, takes measurements and thoroughly examines your home and your system. His recommendations come from specific calculations according to the best standards of our industry. He'll explain all this to you, and he'll give you CHOICES so that you can make the best decision for your comfort goals and for your budget.
Then he'll show you a published flat-rate price book. Except for a previously advertised special, he will NEVER DEVIATE from this price. Everyone pays the same fair price. The price you're quoted is exactly the price you'll pay. We don't charge for labor and materials. We don't estimate and then turn around and bill you more than the original quote because we miscalculated. You get the right price UP FRONT before work starts. And that will be the price you pay!
Read Stan's Exclusive No-Pressure Sales Pledge. Every Stan Perkoski's Home Services team member has signed it and is pledge to abide by its promises.
"I want you to know (I'm sure you do!) that Nick and Pepe are the best!! They have come to my rescue more times than I can count. These two gentlement are always knowledgable and professional and go above and beyond the call whenever possible. I feel so lucky to have them in my home knowing the problem will be taken care of with quick efficiency -- and a smile."
Mary Beth McClafferty